Monday 8 October 2012

The Marathon - Humbling Men Since 1896


...and he said, “I’d like to go under 3.10, but otherwise sub 3.20 for a Comrades B seeding is no problem”.
 
I had confidently planned my race strategy based on a great race at the Mandela Day Marathon, where I started slowly and gradually picked up the pace to hang on for a strong finish in 3.41 over an incredibly tough course. I was further buoyed by my quickest half marathon in 5 years, and circulated my target to all and sundry, just to put some pressure on myself.
Everything went according to plan, the weather gods smiled kindly upon us, and I set off confidently at my estimated race pace, which became impossible to ratify as I soon realised that the K markers were a joke, so just trusted my deemed effort. The first hiccup came at about 12Ks when the rough tar started, and when I eventually passed the traditional halfway mark I was some 3 minutes behind schedule.
 
Okay, plan B – just keep plugging away for a comfortable 3.15 odd……., well within another 3Ks my legs told me survival was the order of the day and even plan C was out the window. No problem then, I’ll just plod in for a comfortable sub 3.40 and a Comrades C seeding.
 
Eish! By 30Ks I was even walking downhill, my legs “stukkend”. Jen had finished her half marathon and was a blessed sight to buoy my spirits as a steady stream of runners passed me. Hell, participants were even walking past me! Lucky I’ve learnt to maintain my sense of humour, no matter what!
 
Well, to cut a long story short, I finished in 3.43 in abject misery and I can honestly say the last 10Ks was a bigger ask than Comrades. So accordingly I counsel you all; “Respect the Marathon”!
 
Cheers
 
Mike
 


    

No comments:

Post a Comment