Monday 1 October 2012

Wartburg Cycle Race

It has been a long rode to recovery after my PCL tear in October last year. My knee has been giving me a lot of issues when running but fortunately I can at least keep fit by cycling. After missing the first couple of road races earlier this year due to my knee, I was very excited to take part in the first Wartburg Cycle Race with the Amashova just 2 weeks after.
 
Unfortunately, the day after entering the race I picked up a Virus and was man down for a week. I had a less than ideal build up to my first race back but I was still eager to take part.
 
I survived the first 6 km with the lead bunch before getting blown out the back. I then joined a smaller group of about 10 riders where I managed to catch my breath and get going again. The route was incredibly scenic with farmlands and plantations all around. Thankfully the roads in Wartburg are very quiet so cars passing by were not a big issue.
 
The road surface was horrible! Constant bouncing on a gravelly surface for the majority of the race. My wrists, hands, arms and shoulders are still stiff while typing this!
 
My body decided to pack in with only 12k's to go.With nothing left in the tank, I lost touch with my bunch and watched them disappearing in the distance. It did give me a chance to take in the beauty of the area while I freewheeled down to the finish.
 
After a refreshing shower at the car. I met up with the Megan, Mike and Jenny (Jenny also rode the 82km) for prizegiving in the lovely hotel grounds of the Wartburg Orion Hotel.
 
Jenny and I at the finish

No comments:

Post a Comment